Our mandatory evaluations make boarding safer and more comfortable for your dog.
Please note: We are sometimes booked several weeks out for evaluation appointments.
Please note: Due to the new Canine Influenza Virus and vaccine-resistant kennel coughs being present in our area, we have a new request. We’re asking clients to please not have your dog in any doggie group activities for a period of two weeks before visiting us.
This is the absolute most effective way (much more so than vaccines) to be sure that no dogs check in while incubating a contagious virus.
Dogs are excited to return to our familiar, positive environment — many of our canine guests happily consider Two Rock Dog Ranch their “home away from home!”
In addition to our health requirements, dogs must pass an evaluation to be sure they are comfortable and safe with a group of dogs off leash.
Evaluations are done by appointment between 9:15 and 10 am, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays (except during holidays and peak seasons).
It is important to evaluate how a dog interacts over a period of time, since dogs may react differently as they adjust to a new environment. We offer three types of evaluations:
- Day Care: Dogs experience a full day-care day — playing, meeting many new dog and human friends while becoming familiar with all the indoor and outdoor areas. Your dog can be picked up during our afternoon office hours of 3:00 – 6:00 pm. Day Care Evaluation fee is $20.
- Overnight: If you are planning to board your dog during a holiday or other peak time, an Overnight Evaluation is required, which includes day care. Overnight Evaluation fee is $27.
- Accelerated: This option is available at our discretion for puppies under six months of age, and dogs who are already very social and comfortable in group situations, for example, a dog who has previously boarded at a group play facility and/or attended dog daycare without any incidents. Accelerated Evaluation fee is $12.
Existing clients please note: If your dog has not boarded overnight or attended day care with us for one year or more, you will need to schedule an Overnight Evaluation in order to stay during a holiday or other peak time.
Overview of Our Evaluation Process
Dogs are introduced to other dogs one at a time, then two at a time, until they are integrated into a play group.
Many dogs are immediately at home in the group environment. It may take other dogs more exposure to “warm up,” and by the end of the evaluation, we have a good idea of whether or not this environment is best for them.
What We Consider During Your Dog’s Evaluation
- Is your dog comfortable while other dogs investigate? Dogs must be agreeable to being checked out by other canines.
- Is your dog comfortable with new people and easy to handle by our staff? Our staff is comprised of both men and women of various ages, statures, and ethnicities. Every dog must be friendly with every member of our staff.
- How does your dog react to our routines and various types of stimuli? Dogs will be moving around in groups to different play yards and community spaces throughout the day. Dogs will be joining play groups and others will be departing. We have livestock nearby, as well as additional people maintaining our grounds. This is new to many dogs, and it is important for them to accept this type of activity without excessive barking or exhibiting other stressful behavior.
In order to maintain a safe and fun environment for everyone, all dogs must be friendly towards other dogs and humans. We cannot accept dogs who exhibit aggressive, unsafe or excessively disruptive behavior towards other dogs or our staff. We do not work with aggressive dogs. Please see a professional trainer if your dog is aggressive towards people or other dogs.